Summers in Pakistan are dank and sweaty equally affecting all the inhabitants wherein. But we are particularly worrying about pets and at the very moment, our cats. Relax! We are up with some facts and tips to help you out this summer.
This article is particularly essential for you if you own a black cat or a white one or some cats belonging to a different breed. Pets are pretty sensitive to temperature changes - especially cats. Particularly when talking about cats, they are prone to fatal heatstroke only if low feline temperatures are not maintained. Beware, your negligence may cause your lovely cats to catch an illness or they may even die. It’s necessary to keep them in a cool place and so here we are up with some tips.
It’s worth mentioning that our cats tolerate heat in a much better way than we do. They are better adapted as they evolve somehow from the desert species. These cats dissipate heat in a much better way. They have several sweat glands which are yet a major pro.
Here are some tips to keep your cats cool in this hot summer.
1. Let your cats drink plenty amount of water to keep them well hydratedAs stated already, cats’ evolution dates back to the ancestral desert animals. This means they survive even when they have no water for long. But unfortunately, this may affect your cat in the long term. How? According to researches, cats are more prone to kidney disease as they get old.
Their kidneys stress up in the cases of dehydration ultimately leading to the failure of concentrating urine. This in turn accumulates toxic products within the cat’s body further decreasing the metabolism somehow. So, tip number one is to keep your cat’s drinking bowl all filled with clean fresh water these summers.
2. From Ice packs to ice cubes to ice lollies - You may let your cats have an Iceland this summers
You may have some good ice packs for your cats. There are several freezer blocks and pads available in the market for your cats. You may just place one at your cat’s favorite spot to allow it to have a cool and moist environment around.
Ice cubes yet offer a discrete fun plan to your cats playing and rolling here and there around with cubes places on the floor. Hence, this is going to let their paws cool dissipating heat rather quickly and in a much efficient way.
And yes these ice lollies are such an innovative addition to this tiring task. Just freeze some low salt chicken stock in any of your plastic containers. And let your cat dooming up with these low cost and effective cooling plan of ours.
3. Be vigilant for cat’s sunburnIt’s usually stated that prevention is better than cure. Likewise, it’s applicable over here. Don’t let your cat wander in the scorching heat of the day. This may turn out to be vulnerable if one is consistent in doing so. Years of sun exposure may lead to skin cancer and skin discoloration.
The treatment plans cost much and will cause much pain to your cats. It rather advised to keep them well protected indoors.
The paler cats are more susceptible to skin cancers. The case is well identified by your vet. Usually, well-demarcated, discolored areas around ears and nose are strong identification points by your vets.
It is not advisable at all to shave the fur of your cat at any time of the year. It is observed that many cat keepers remove the natural protective coat of the cat produced by nature as a protection shield. This results in the exposure of the skin to heat and the environment. It may result in sunburns, heatstroke & other serious skin problems.
4. Brush cat’s hair daily to allow heat trapped within the hair to escapeIts seen that cats most of the cats are fond of licking themselves up. This is what they do purposely. You may have even found cats doing this more often on hot days. The reason is the saliva serves to be a moisturizer. When it does evaporate on a hot day it is surely going to impart the cooling effect.
Here comes, why brushing is necessary? It’s an alternative way to let your cat have a soothing effect. Secondly, your cat would swallow hairs, ultimately leading to digestion problems. Better be safe and vigilant is what we want our readers to be.
5. Prepare a shade for your cat
Though cats are more sensible in seeking shades. Yet, precautionary measures are useful and sound. You may arrange a canvas shade sail out in your garden which acts to be a poor heat absorbent and a better emitter of heat. Consequently, your cat is going to find a home-like environment within its favorite gardens. Surely, your cats would love roaming and taking a nap in these shades.
6. Don’t let bugs popping up around your catsUsually, summers are a humble retreat for the parasites and worms to grow and infect. So, you need to be vigilant in this very case too. If you find some unusual characteristics and habits of your pet, you for sure need to out your vet. As this may turn out to be the major cause of discomfort for your cats.
7. Draw curtains on your windows to keep your indoors coolIf you keep your pet indoors, it’s better to draw curtains over your windows. This can further lower the temperature of your house and would help you keep your pets indoors.
8. Look for heatstroke signs within your cats
It’s not very unusual in these blazing days to get heatstroke. But chances of getting it are subtle only if certain precautionary measures have been taken. Hyperthermia in cats is very common in areas where temperature rise to extremes like in many areas in Pakistan.
You may identify your cat suffering from heatstroke if you find it panting excessively to lose heat. The cats may start drooling and salivating at a higher rate. You may even find them suffering from restlessness. An accompanying symptom is an elevated heart rate with diarrhea and vomiting.